Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Blues

Today as we were reading more of Billy Collin’s poetry in class, I came across a poem that I had overlooked before. The poem is called “The Blues,” and I feel it is true in a our society today. 
The poem goes to describe how people my generation do not necessarily like hearing about other peoples’ pains. When it comes to heartache, sickness, and troubles, many would rather just turn the other way and pretend that no such thing exists. 
However, when pain and hurt are turned into music and lyrics people automatically become interested. It is as if adding a guitar to the background of a story can change the meaning altogether. 
This is because everyone relates through music. There is something that speaks to our souls when we hear it. Almost as if each song was written just for us or about our own specific situation. It does not matter what kind of person is singing the song. They could be a huge, muscular man or a petite woman or a skater or any other persona imaginable, but no matter how much they would seem to differ from yourself physically they can and probably are feeling a lot of the same emotions that you are as well. 
Reading this poem, all the lines that Collins wrote are so obvious and simply, but it is something that is not always spelled out. Collin’s definitely has found a way to connect with people through poetry in an uncomplicated way. 

2 comments:

  1. Sara, I read that poem and enjoyed it as well. I couldn't agree with you and Collins more. Music really does have a unique way of capturing our attention, more so than anything else. I, also, think you are right about Collins connecting with people through his uncomplicated style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy the way Collins writes his poetry. Sometimes I feel like reading poetry can be almost a workout for the brain. Deciphering metaphors, looking up allusions, and trying to figure out which words means what can get tiring. Collins' work is uncomplicated yet still very powerful and moving. Like Hemingway, he writes simply which allows the reader to enjoy the words and not feel bombarded with the task of figuring out what it all means. If I ever become President, I think I would try to make Billy Collins Poet Laureate again.

    ReplyDelete