Thursday, April 28, 2011

My first real moment of embarrassment

There are always those get-to-know-you games that bosses, camp counselors, or teachers make you play whenever they want the people they are working with to get to know everyone else. Someone that one question always come up, “What is your most embarrassing moment?” Every time this one question comes up I can only stare blankly and slightly smile at the person or persons I am talking to and nicely tell them that I really do not have a moment that I find most embarrassing in my life. Nothing had ever really happened to me that was truly mortifying before this year, my freshman year of college. It is comical, because not only is it a recent occurrence, but a lot of people do not find it as embarrassing as I do. 
All of my friends and I had decided to meet in the lobby so we could all walk to honors’ banquet together. All of us were dressed nicely and were looking pretty spiffy if I do say so myself. We decided that we had everyone and started out the door to enjoy a delicious meal and hear a profound speaker. With laughter in the air we began our decent down the stairs and this is where the problem began. 
I still do not know quite what happened but one motion led to the next and as far as I could tell I was crumbling down the stairs. With each new slip I forced myself upright and tried to regain my balance but it was just no good.  I slid down 10 steps and ended up ripping my new dress. Of course, to make matters worse, this also happened to be the one time of day in which peering eyes seemed to be seeping out of the bushes. I could not feel the pain of my scrapes or even the real embarrassment that I would feel mere minutes later, all I knew what that I had to get out of there and get redressed for the banquet. 
I quickly scampered up the steps and back to my room to make the quickest change I think I have ever made in my entire life. The only thought that consumed me during this time and the rest of the night was how? How did that happen? It may sound dumb to most people, but the part that frustrated me the most was not that I simply fell but that I fell walking in heels. I had never fallen in heels. For some reason I did not mind being the girl who lost her step on the stairs, but I could not fathom being the girl who could not walk in heels. I never realized how much pride I had taken in being a girl who could walk well in heels, but from my thought process I could now tell that it was important to me. 
No one made fun of me or gave me a hard time. Honestly, everyone just felt bad for me. It was a pathetic occurrence, but at least now I have a most embarrassing moment right?

No comments:

Post a Comment